Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Anchor and Faith?

All of us have beliefs and opinions, and each effects us in some way. Christianity is different though. If taken to its logical conclusion, the effect of Christianity should influence every area of life. It effects your time, pleasures, goals, etc… Because of this far-reaching effect, everyone at some time has this thought: what if this isn’t true?

C. Michael Paton explains what he does at these times...

When we have doubt, skepticism, and moments of weakness in our faith (and we all do), we search for a place to go, for solid footing somewhere. I often lay my head down on my pillow at night and have a fleeting thought, “What if none of this is true? What if I am wasting my time? What if Jesus is not real? What if God does not exist?” This will normally come after a day of discouragement. When bills are not getting paid, when I have spent the day with my invalid mother, or when I just don’t feel too spiritually connected to God. The thought is “fleeting” not because I suppress it to the back of my mind in order to live in a state of cognitive dissonance, closing my mind and shouting at the doubt in Jesus’ name, but precisely because I intentionally place it at the front of my mind. I want to deal with it. And in dealing with it, there are many things that quickly drown out the doubt, or at least the most significant part of it. There is an anchor to my faith that won’t let me drift.

I think that each one of us needs to be balanced in regard to this, seeking to find many anchors in many places. For example, my primary anchor is the historicity of resurrection of Christ. I am not just saying this to appear academic. It truly is. My doubts quickly fade when I think to myself, “Oh yeah, Christ rose from the grave. What do I do with that?” I look at all of the evidence for the resurrection as objectively as possible and I cannot conclude anything other than that this event actually happened. To deny it, opting for some possible yet improbable alternative, would be an irresponsible use of my reason and judgment. The evidence is simply overwhelming. This anchors my faith more than anything else.

For me, that fleeting question is a matter of God’s existence and not of Christianity. The first though that usually comes to mind centers on the cosmological argument(s) (at its simplest form it states that everything could not come for nothing).

For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse. (Rom 1:20)

I’ll back it up with Scripture in case I get accused of a lack of faith. Anyway, what is your first thought when that question comes to your mind?

4 comments:

  1. Anyone with a thinking logical mind should not accuse you of lack of faith especially if you present a well thought out logical argument - like that of the cosmological argument. I think the cosmological argument especially the kalam formulation is extremely persuasive. I don't believe that I have ever heard a decent rebuttal of it. So what is the one thing I go back to when in doubt of Christianity. That corner stone if you will. Mostly it would be the fact that at any instant I can pick out about two or three things that are seriously wrong with every other religion. There is no logical, nay, even sensible alternative. That is an interesting question though, I wonder what everyone else goes back to when in doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question Russ - and a great quote too. I think that this is an issue that should be dealt with more openly, particularly as a part of any organized discipleship process. If we are not willing to admit that we might be wrong, then we aren't really interested in the truth.

    That being said, I would tend to agree with Patton. The historicity of the resurrection does alot for me. The subsequent logical conclusion for the existence of God is simply too apparent. I would also find the coherence of the Christian faith far beyond that which random probabilities might normally allow.

    I would like to take issue with Patton at one point. He says that these doubts normally come after a day full of discouragement. I am not totally sure about that. I would be inclined to quote Ravi Zacharias when he says, "meaninglessness does not comes from weariness of pain. Rather, meaninglessness comes from weariness of pleasure". Many times, it is those moments where we do not sense the NEED for God that makes us most likely to question Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for both your comments. Scott, your point that if we aren't willing to admit we might be wrong, then we aren't really intersted in the truth is very thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott, I still like your idea. There might be a better way to put it though: If we're not willing to consider other views, we are not interested in the truth. This is probably just semantics, but I think it sounds a lot better.

    ReplyDelete